Cinekid Script LAB is a four-month script-training programme for writers with a children's film project. The training was initiated by Cinekid in 2014, and takes place during Cinekid for professionals in October, and the Berlinale the following February. The event is co-funded by national institutes such as Flanders Audiovisual Fund (BE), Norwegian Film Institute (NO), Swedish Film Institute (SE), Netherlands Film Fund (NL), the Icelandic Film Institute (IC), the Finnish Film Foundation (FI) and the German Federal Film Board (GE).
During the Cinekid Script LAB an international group of writers and writer/directors will work on their plans for children’s feature films. The programme offers tailor-made coaching and training; it answers to the specific writer’s and story’s needs, along a four month trajectory.
Points of focus
· Connecting writers who are working on scripts for young audiences;
· Increasing the international network of its participants;
· Facilitating exchange of knowledge between its participants;
· Offering a specific focus on writing for young audiences;
· Improving the writing and pitching skills of its participants;
· Development towards a new (and better) draft of their script.
October – Cinekid for Professionals
· Day 1: Introduction to fellow participants; individual coaching
· Day 2: Individual coaching
· Day 3: Plenary character workshop
· Day 4: Come back sessions
· Day 5: Participation in Cinekid for Professionals
November to January – follow-up sessions
· Participants reconnect with their coach to discuss their progress (by phone or Skype)
February – Berlinale
· Day 1: Individual coaching
· Day 2: Individual coaching; screening(s) Generation program
· Day 3: Plenary pitching workshop
· Day 4: Come back sessions
· Day5: Participation in the Berlinale
Trainers and tutors involved
· Esther van Driesum, the Netherlands. Head of Studies of Cinekid Script LAB, independent project and talent development consultant, trainer for writers and directors at PrepTalk, previously Head of Programmes of Binger Filmlab.
· Rasmus Horskjær, Denmark. Freelance coach, writer, director and concept developer, worked for DR, DFI and on ANTBOY (Toronto 2013) and WHEN ANIMALS DREAM (Cannes 2014).
· Mieke de Jong, the Netherlands. Scriptwriter for film and TV, including BONKERS, SPOON, WINTER IN WARTIME (Shortlist Oscar Foreign Language 2010). Coming soon: NOBODY’S BOY (TV series), MR FROG (feature film), RINTJE (animation series).
· Boudewijn Koole, the Netherlands. Creative producer at Witfilm. Advisor and coach to filmmakers during the development, shooting and editing of their films. As a director TOMMIE, PIERLALA, IN BELFAST STAAT EEN MUUR, and KAUWBOY (Berlinale 2012)
· Jolein Laarman, the Netherlands. Scriptwriter and scriptcoach. Previously producer and production-designer. Credits include KAUWBOY, IK BEN WILLEM (TV series), and TAXI VAN PALEMU (TV series), STAGES, SISTER OF KATIA, BRITTLE. Coming up: DISAPPEARANCE and INVITE ME TO WAR.
Instead of having an open selection, participants for Cinekid Script LAB are nominated by its partners. This means that you cannot apply for this programme at Cinekid directly. However, we are happy to put you in touch with contact persons of these partners (see above for an overview of participating partners), if you are from their region. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please find more detailed information on past participants and programs in the Cinekid Script LAB publications below.
Projects and participating writers selected for Cinekid Script LAB 2016 – 2017
Nominated by Finnish Film Foundation (Finland)
Project: TAGLI & TELLE
Writer: Paula Noronen
Nominated by Norwegian Film Institute (Norway)
Project: KASJA'S DOGS
Writer: Sebastian Torngren Wartin
Production company: Nordisk Film Production AS
Nominated by Swedish Film Institute (Sweden)
Project: NO CHILDS LAND
Writers: Niclas Ekström
Production company: Dragon Films
Nominated by Flanders Film Fund (Belgium)
Writers: Frederike Migom
Nominated by Polish Film Institute (Poland)
Writer: Kas Zawadowicz
Production company: GS Studio
Nominated by Netherlands Film Fund (Netherlands)
Writers: Victoria Warmerdam
Nominated by Icelandic Film Centre (Iceland)
Project: LOCAL JOKE
Writers: Styrmir Sigurðsson & Bryndís Björgvinsdóttir
Script LAB is organised in close collaboration with these international partner organisations and funding bodies:
Script Lab booklets
Find an overview of all the coaches and participants here.
Cinekid Script Lab is supported by: